Perinatal Mental Health
Perinatal Mental Health
“Mothers and babies exist as a unit – one cannot be considered without the other.”
We take a holistic approach, working with both expectant mums and those with infants in their first year of life, together with their partners, family/whānau, and services and health providers involved in their care.
Perinatal Mental Health is a team of experienced, specialised health professionals skilled in helping mothers with mental health conditions related to having a baby. Our team offers assessment, treatment and advice for women who have developed a mental illness during the perinatal period or have an ongoing or previous mental health disorder.
We do not provide an urgent or crisis service. If the situation is urgent, please contact:
Crisis Assessment and Treatment Service
Available 24/7 - 0800 50 50 50
Who do we see?
- Women of any age who are experiencing moderate to severe mental illness in pregnancy and postpartum
- Preconception advice for women with pre-existing serious mental health challenges
- Pregnant women or those with babies under a year old, who have experienced previous birth trauma or still born loss who are currently experiencing mental health difficulties
We also provide a consultative secondary service to women who are current clients of other Mental Health & Addiction services.
We welcome contact from other agencies for perinatal advice.
Appointments occur in clinic, at the clients' home, or at another agreed venue.
New appointments are usually one hour to 90 minutes long; follow up appointments 30 minutes to one hour. Women are welcome to bring their babies, other family/whānau members and other support people as desired.
All geographical areas covered under Waikato District Health Board.
Waiora CBD Building, 87 Alexandra Street Hamilton, Hamilton
Phone: 07 8398886
Referrals are accepted from a variety of sources including:
- Self-referrals including family & friends with client’s consent
- Primary health providers - general practitioners (GPs), Plunket nurses, midwives
- Secondary health providers - obstetricians, ante/post-natal services, Mothercraft and New Born Unit
All referrals to the Waikato DHB Perinatal Mental Health Service will be triaged by the Adult Mental Health Triage team who will make contact with the client to complete a telephone triage assessment.
Once accepted into the service, the referral will be sent to the Perinatal Mental Health team and allocated at the next referral meeting where an initial appointment by one of the team will be made.
Referrals can be sent to:
Adult Mental Health Triage
Phone: 07 8346902
Fax: 0800500105 or 07 8383741
Postal address: Adult Mental Health Triage 193 London St, Private Bag 3200, Hamilton 3240
Referrals for Kaupapa Māori Maternal Mental Health Services for clients within Hamilton, Ngaruawahia and Huntly can be sent directly to:
Hauora Waikato via Ngaa Ringa Awhina
Phone: 0800 999 903
Fax: 07 839 5147
Postal Address: PO Box 1047 Waikato Mail Centre Hamilton 3240